Thursday, June 21, 2007

man, for someone who hates to work out i sure spend alot of time torturing myself.

last week i started running outside again, and i'm keeping up with crosstraining in between. Saturday i was installing a roofdeck which required carrying 50lb boxes of wood tiles to my roof. i'm too proud to ask for help, so saturday i managed to get 14 of the 20 up. that's 700 pounds of tile up 3 flights of stairs. i already knew this would be my workout for the day so i didn't feel too guilty not running. i took the stairs slow and told myself i was strengthening my legs with each step. (and apparently my arms and back and almost every other muscle in my body that was screaming at me on sunday morning!)

last night i headed back to yoga to try and stretch out all the knots in my body that are still hurting from the manual labor. evening classes are rough.. the room is extra hot from all day classes.. i'm extra hot from dealing with work and the subway... and the class is jam packed. it's 'hot' yoga, so every gets REALLY sweaty. now you pack us all in together and it's not a pretty sight. i picked my spot near the window (which the instructor sometimes opens giving us a breath of cooler NYC air) and was quite happy until this dude moved in right next to me.. he peels his shirt off to reveal his full hairy back. and chest. and arms. (these are moments i feel like my life turns into a sitcom) i had visions of hairy back sweat somehow getting on me. not to mention the fact that just looking at all that hair was making me even hotter (temperature wise, people!!) it seemed like the equivalent of playing tennis on a 103 degree day in august with a wool sweater on!

it wasn't the greatest performance, i struggled through the class.. but struggling through it is better than not going at all. and i'm happy to report that no back sweat go on me, and i survived the heat.

this morning i woke up early and went for a 3 mile run before work. each time gets a little easier. and today i signed up for the Cow Harbor Race (10K) in september. it will be nice to run in my hometown.

temp at 7am: 75
new on the ipod: 'icky thump' by the white stripes

1 comment:

roxie said...

eeeeeeeeeeeeeewe hairy back man!