Saturday, February 24, 2007

one small step!

Ok, so this is a little late so i will quickly catch you up. I have decided to start training for the San Diego Rock n Roll Marathon! The marathon is in June (nice right? San Diego in June!) but, the training is NY in February.. you can see where this is going...

I decided to do this for a few reasons, first off I've always been facinated by people who feel the desire to run for over 4 hours straight. I'm hard pressed to run 20 minutes on the treadmill without saying "f*#k this, i'm outta here!" But, my friend Roxie was of the same mindset and she successuflly completed the Phoenix Marathon and was so inspired she signed up for San Diego. I followed her lead and said 'ok, i'll give it a shot'. If you're reading this you probably know me. And if you know me, you know that I am not one to turn away from something that seems impossible!

The second reason I decided to run was that the training was provided by the Leukemia Lymphoma Society (team in training). They set you up with training schedules and coaches and parties to forget the pain. In return you help raise money for the cause. My grandfather died of Leukemia when I was 11, so the cause hits home for me in this case. My family has a lifetime of great memories and funny stories of my grandfather, but I often wonder what it would be like if he were around today. What would he be like? (my grandmother is one tough cookie and pretty damn funny, so I'm guessing it would be more of the same!) What would he think of me? (He always liked spunky, and I'm not short on spunk.. he'd probably approve). So Jim, this one's for you!

Finally, at 36, it's hard to keep the bootie in shape. This will definitley help!

I will be contacting alot of you to help me reach my fundraising goal of $5000.00. Every bit helps, and there are many many sick people who appreciate your donation. If it makes you feel better, donate on a saturday morning at 8am when you're cozy under your covers knowing I am freezing that 36 year old bootie off in the park!

SOOOOOO, why did I start this blog today? Today I did the unthinkable. I woke up at 7am on a saturday to run my first race. A 4 miler in Central Park. Not too bad. Cold for sure, but the crowd helps carry you along. Who am I kidding, it SUCKED! But crossing the finish line felt great!

Temp: 22° Running time: 38:54

1 comment:

zacsmyth said...

I only run unless I am being chased... which seems to happen far to often.