Sunday, February 10, 2008

the clash in the bronx!

this morning i ran the half marathon in the bronx.. my first half marathon race. the ipod was loaded with The Clash, and man what a good choice that was.

although i've run longer distances than 13.1 miles (last season my longest run was 15 miles before getting injured) this race seemed more significant. and definitely more nerve wracking. last night i was exhausted from a brutal week at work, but when it came time to go to bed i just could not sleep.

the race started at 8, so i had to get up at 6 so i had time to walk cash, eat, go to the bathroom, load the ipod and get myself to the bx on time... well all this was on slo-mo so it was a scramble to get a cab (which he had no idea where bronx science hs was so there was a panic call to my mom to google it at 7am! bless you mom.) weather started out great.. 40, mild, sunny. got a little colder at the start but that was ok cause i was overdressed. i hate things hanging off of me, so if i'm gonna take off a layer it's gonna get thrown away. i am not ready to part with any of my running clothes, so they were staying on.

i have been trying no to get too hung up on my race times because i can get caught up in setting goals, pushing too hard which could lead to another injury. i just want to run a smart, strong race. at the start i missed the time so i wasn't really sure what my time was.. i just tried to take note of my pacing and not push too hard. after a few miles i realized that i was pretty much hitting a 9minute mile and it felt like a pace i could run all day.. coach ramon would say i was doing good. the plan was to keep this pace going til mile 7 or 8 and if i still felt good i could push harder.

right around mile 7 the race went up the grand concourse in a steady incline.. suddenly the wind picked up and blasted us right in the face. i focused on my breathing and not letting the gusts disrupt my breath cause i could get a side-ache and that would be the end of me.. got through this and hit the turnaround point which put the wind at my back. so at mile 8 i picked it up til mile 11ish.

at mile 11 i started getting a bit tired, so i set my ipod on van halen and got into a pace i knew i could hold for 2 miles. seriously, 'runnin with the devil' saved me. seeing the coaches and TNT runners a bit before the finish gave me my 4th wind and inspired me to finish strong.

I just checked my time.. i finished the race in 1:59:39!!!! That breaks down to 9:08 average mile pace.. and that, my friends, is the fastest pace I've ever raced at!!! amazing considering that this was such a long run. I am very very happy with my success today, and with everything i've been through I'm proud that i've come back to running and come back this strong!

miles run: 13.1
song of the day: runnin with the devil
favorite fan quote: "Yeah baby, i like the way you're doin it" (read that in a bronx accent)

1 comment:

roxie said...

so awesome! wish i could have been there to see it...although it would have probably been from a good distance behind you, if my run today was any judge ;). congrats again - i'm so jealous of your swiftiness!