Thursday, April 5, 2007

i'm broke... so you better donate!

hey friends. here's the official word. i have a stress fracture in my tibia (large shin bone).

i met with dr. metzl today.. this guy is a sports medicine master. he's run over 28 marathons, tri-athalons and he has competed in the ironman. he confirmed the stress fracture that showed up on my bone scan and told me I will have to lay off for a few weeks while the leg heals. he stressed that i need to keep crosstraining to keep my fitness up, so i will be biking like a mad woman!

the doc and i are on a plan now to get me back on track in time for the NYC marathon in the fall. SO that means the fundraising effort is still on! I have already raised over $3000 thanks to all of you! Since I have more time now I've increased my goal to $6000. I have learned alot about the Leukemia & Lymphoma society over the past 2 months and heard from some people who have survived cancer, and it's quite amazing how much the money we are raising does. From things like funding research to paying for someone's cab ride home after a chemo treatment.. it all adds up to better survival rates and increased quality of life for paitents and their families.

I got an email yesterday that the group i have been training with for the San Diego Marathon has raised over $189,000 already this season! If you think that we are only about half way to our goal and we are only one group from one marathon you can see how much a small donation does in the end.

Enough, enough... you know the deal and you know what you gotta do. No donation is too small.

Miles: 0
Legs broken: 1
Days until the NYC marathon: 213

3 comments:

roxie said...

i'm sad =(

but i am not sad enough to run a third marathon this year. you're just going to have to be happy with me as your fundraising cap this fall...i *mean* it.

beck said...

we'll see.. somehow i am not quite believing you...oh and you still owe me a beer!

roxie said...

oh right...i do owe you one don't i? perhaps you should swing by after practice wednesday?